Monday 28 May 2007





I am too lazy to write for the whole summary of the 6 days trip . But this is my overall thought


On my way back home from my Japan trip, I bought the book ‘The Alchemist’. The book has particular deep meaning for me especially after my Japan trip. The gist of the book is about fulfilling one’s personal legends. It coincides my life long dream of visiting Japan. President Ikeda often asks the students,” What dreams do each of you have in your heart now?” Everyone has dreams at the current moment.

The story’s main character, Santiago, is a shepherd boy sets out to find his "Personal legend," or dream in life. Along the way, he faced all sorts of unexpected obstacles and runs into a variety of characters who have given up their dreams and settled for more a comfortable life. But his power of belief helped him continue to purse his dream throughout the journey and in the end he finally fulfilled the dream. Like Santiago, I too have a dream, my dream was to visit the brilliant kaikans in Japan and visit the magnificent Soka University with my girlfriend/comrade in faith.

In life, it is difficult for people to keep their own promise to their heart. ‘The Alchemist’ taught that there are many people who will give up their dreams, as people often believe in the world’s greatest lie, and that is, at certain point in our lives, we lose control of what is happening and our lives become controlled by fate. There are more and more obstacles until the dream becomes more and more far-fetched. The dream then often will be buried deep in our soul as the years go by.

I nearly believe in the lie too, as I was surrounded by worries, doubt, suspense and fear before I even went to Japan. My girlfriend and I were not sure how we are going to go there. We can easily go with a tour group, but this way it did not allow us to visit the Soka Centers and Soka University. We were also not ready to go on our own as we have no idea how to go from one place to the other. It was also my first trip abroad. Money was always a hindrance, as we really have to work our way to save up for the trip. Language was another barrier to us since neither of us is particular articulate in Japanese.

But ultimately there is faith, we have faith everything will go well, we also have the faith that we will able to fulfill the dream. The faith helped us to have the courage to confront the dream. The faith helped us to go ahead to explore and find our way to Japan. Thus my girlfriend and I are determined that we can definitely achieve our dreams. We decided to go on our own .
Like what is frequently mentioned in ‘The Alchemist’, when you want to something, all the universe will conspire in helping you achieve it.

Our trip was safe throughout; we never lost our way and fulfilled our dream of visiting all the kaikans that we want to visit. Everything went so smoothly for us that it became a real memorable trip. For the language barrier, we find that we can actually made ourselves understood by gestures, smiles, facial expression. One lesson learnt was if you are sincere, there is no language or culture barrier, everything will be clear and there will be no danger of being misinterpreted.

The journey to Japan also makes me realize as we often search through many places for our treasure and dreams, and where we least expect it, the real prize comes in the form of the journey itself. I realize the greatest part of the Japan trip was not only the all the wonderful kaikans that I visited but it comprises all the dearest members and friends that I have met. It also showed me one important lesson that Santiago learnt from in ‘The Alchemist’, the lesson of going confidently in the direction of our dreams.

Whether your dream is small or large doesn’t matter. But remember that you can never go any higher than your dream, so accept the challenge and have a dream. Michelangelo said that the greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, and that it is too low and we reach it.

No comments: